1. Not washing your face nightly. By skipping this step, you’re inviting bacteria, dirt, and oil to have a field day and clog your pores. Not only can this result in unwanted acne, but leaving your makeup on for a prolonged period of time can also dehydrate your skin, making it look lackluster and highlighting any fine lines and wrinkles that you might have that otherwise wouldn’t be visible if your skin was plump and hydrated.
2. Picking your face. Regardless of whether you have a pimple or a spot of some sort on your face, do not pick it. The moment you do, the area will become red and even get infected and turn into a larger issue if you can’t stop yourself. Result, a big scar.
3. Introducing more than one beauty product into your routine at once. You can get actually give yourself contact dermatitis — a red, rash-like allergic reaction — if you start using too many new products on your complexion at once. To avoid this from happening, I recommend introducing any new products one at a time to be sure you’re not allergic to any of their ingredients.
4. Skipping sunscreen. A lot of young people are afraid that if they use an SPF daily they’ll breakout, but the trick to making sure that’s not the case is getting an oil-free sunscreen and using it religiously. The sun has it’s own dangers that we need to be protected from, but its harsh rays can also cause scarring if you have or have had acne and don’t protect your skin from UV rays. Contrary to popular belief, sunlight cannot dry up a pimple, so don’t skip SPF because you think you’re going to end up with clearer skin — it’s just not the case. Try an oil-free one!
5. Not extending your skincare down onto your neck and chest. Those two areas show your age — so instead of applying your skincare onto your face only, make sure you slather your lotion and anti-aging products on them as well. That way you give the same fighting chance to your neck, décolletage that you do your face to look younger later in life.