From jewel tones to pastels, there’s a denim shade for every day! Keep your outfit neutral to highlight your colored jeans, or make a bold statement with contrasting colors! What better way to add a splash of spring than some brightly coloured jeans!
The tricky part is to know what to wear with them once you’ve bought them but fear not it’s actually quite straightforward. Here’s how to wear coloured jeans.
- Cut – First things first opt for a denim cut that you know suits your shape. I love a skinny jean because being petite (I’m 5ft 2in) I feel it gives the illusion that I’ve got longer legs and tends to give me some curves (bonus!)
- Colour – Now you’ve got the fit it’s all about which colour to pick. If you’re a colour newbie and the thought of anything other than your classic indigo denims scare you then stick to the darker denims such as reds, burgundy and purples. Teamed with a block coloured neutral top (white, black, grey) and a classic blazer or leather jacket. Wear with some cute ballet pumps, trainers or a smarter black ankle boot.
- In office – To keep the look work appropriate, reach for darker colors, like red or purple, as opposed to turquoise or bright yellow. Then tone the trendiness down by pairing the jeans with a black or white top—it’s hard to ever go wrong with a button down. Keep your accessories paired down to keep the look polished enough for the office. Ballet flats are always a smart choice.
A few rules to live by:
- To take care of your colored jeans, always wash them inside out in cold water, then line dry, rather than put them in the dryer. Hot water and heat will make the color fade faster.
- Darker colored jeans will be more flattering in general.
- You’ll be surprised by how many tops match your colored jeans. If you’re daunted with wear to start, just treat them like you would a favorite pair of blue jeans.
- That said, do be careful with layering on different colors and don’t go too matchy-matchy. For instance, yellow jeans with a pale pink top can make you look like an Easter Egg. Go for a bolder choice like navy. And red jeans with a red striped top might not look best on you. Try a soft grey with a touch of neon.
- Layers are a great way to add a pop of color. Try a colorful tee under a chambray shirt under a leather or army jacket.
It’s simply a matter of picking you’re favourite colour and away you go!