The goal of meditation is to focus and quiet your mind, eventually reaching a higher level of awareness and inner calm. It may come as a surprise to learn that meditation allows yourself to access a sense of tranquility and peace no matter what’s going on around you. This article will introduce you to the basics of meditation, allowing you to begin your journey on the path of enlightenment.
There are so, so many advantages to meditation. When I originally thought of this post, I indeed wanted to make it 50 benefits long (think big, right!!), however, I didn’t want to you to exhaust you with the effort!
Meditation is more powerful than we think it to be. Here is the “small” definitive list of benefits that meditation can provide:
1. It lowers oxygen consumption.
2. It decreases respiratory rate.
3. It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate.
4. Increases exercise tolerance.
5. Leads to a deeper level of physical relaxation.
6. Good for people with high blood pressure.
7. Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
8. Decreases muscle tension
9. Decreases the aging process.
10. Prevents and controlled pain of chronic diseases
1. Increases serotonin level, influences mood and behaviour.
2. Helps to control own thoughts.
3. Helps with focus & concentration.
4. Increase creativity.
5. Increased emotional stability.
6. Greater communication between the two brain hemispheres.
7. Decrease in potential mental illness like depression.
8. You need less sleep to recover from sleep deprivation.
9. Require less time to fall asleep, helps cure insomnia.
10. Decrease in restless thinking and tendency to worry
1. Provides peace of mind, happiness
2. Increased self-actualization.
3. Brings body, mind, spirit in harmony
4. Increases the synchronicity in your life
Meditation is also completely FREE! It requires no special equipment, and is not complicated to learn. It can be practiced anywhere, at any given moment, and it is not time consuming (15-20 min. per day is good!). Last but not the least, meditation has NO negative side effect. There is nothing but positive to be gained from it! With such a huge list of benefits, the question you should ask yourself is, “Why am I not meditating yet?”.. Trust me, half of the wise world is turning to it!