How many times have you made a resolution of eating healthy and given up after a week of disgust? No, it isn’t that difficult. Try my list of 13 points to stay motivated to eat healthy. But please dont be stressed or force yourself into any too-strict regime. Start enjoying, then only you can sustain it!!
The top-boss of all motivation is, A Healthy Life.. If you eat healthy today, you are healthy tomorrow..
Motivation to eat healthy
1. Set small, measurable goals that will help you get to your overall large goal. For instance – I will eat 5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day, incorporate leafy green veggies into 3 meals a day, drink at least 8 of water daily, etc.
2. Keep a food and exercise journal. This is extremely helpful to track how much you’re eating – sometimes you don’t realize how many small bites here and there add up. You can do a hand-written journal or go digital and log your food/fitness from the computer or your smartphone. There are some amazing apps which help to keep track of your diet.
3. As you shop, so you eat. Next time you are out to stock grocery, stay clear of the aisles offering chips, crackers, yummy dips etc. If there is no junk or processed food in your kitchen or refrigerator when you are hungry, chances are high that you will end up eating healthy most of the times.
4. Try new food and recipes. Eating steamed carrots and cabbage and baked tofu every day can bore you. Look for new healthy recipes online, in cookbooks or magazines so you don’t get bored with eating healthy. Write to me if you need links to such recipes.
5. Enlist support from your friends and family. Tell your near and dear ones about your need to stay motivated. They will know not to offer you sips of beer and chips.
6. Team up with a friend and hold each other accountable for eating healthy. This works like magic.
7. Eat something every 2-3 hours. This keeps your metabolism running and also makes sure you don’t get ravenous and end up eating whatever is in sight when you get home from work.. I had a friend who used to starve for hours and then eat half a pound of cake or a huge bag of chips.. just try to imagine what she was doing to her body!
8. Keep nutritious foods on hand and ready to eat. Preparation is the key to eating healthy! Having fresh vegetables and fruits, lean protein, healthy fats and smart carbs handy is super helpful for staying on track. Make big batches of roasted/sauté veggies and brown rice or baked fish or chicken stew at the beginning of the day so that you have healthy foods in the fridge ready to go for quick munches.
9. Keep tempting foods that trigger you to overeat out of the house. If the tempting foods are already in your house because someone else bought them, I’ve found that putting them away in some distant cabinet is super-helpful. Out of sight, out of mind!!
10. Always bring a healthy snack with you when you leave the house for more than a couple hours. Apples, bananas, fruit and nut bars, homemade salads are super portable. And healthy bars are always good in a pinch.
11. Eat and enjoy your favorite foods in moderation. Deprivation tends to backfire so if you really want a treat, then eat and enjoy it. An occasional cheating is helpful; it keeps you happy and motivated!
12. When going out to eat, if possible, look at the menu for the restaurant online. Deciding beforehand what healthy option you’re going to get can be helpful so you’re not tempted by unhealthy options once you’re there.
13. Don’t let one set-back keep you from working toward your goal. Don’t get down on yourself if you slip-up; just make sure your next meal is a healthy one!
Do you have any point to share? Help us to know what helps to stay motivated to eat healthy; leave a reply!!