Yes, it’s an advice repeated too many times to sound new! “We should all be taking care of the skin around our eyes”. But why? And how?
Why? – Studies show that when people guess your age, they’re largely influenced by the condition of your eye area. Unfortunately, it’s the most delicate area and the first to show signs of ageing. So, to look young, the infallible step is “Give your eyes extra love and care”.
Before I start the details on how to take the best care of your eyes, don’t miss these posts:
“Tired Eyes – not anymore”
“Best ways to revive your tired eyes!”
THE BEST EYE-AREA CARE GUIDE FOR YOUNGER-LOOKING EYES
Choose eye treatment wisely
If you don’t wear eye cream, better get on it! If you already use eye cream, that is a great step you have taken. But take a good look at your current selection to make sure it meets your requirement. Whether you want wrinkle repairor moisturization or reduction of dark circle or want to combat puffiness, you should have a clear idea before choosing your eye cream. Some cream working wonders for others might not work the same way for you since the target problem might be vastly different.
You want something that combats photo-damage to your eye area, so choose an eye cream that contains antioxidants, which can prevent free radical damage from the sun and pollution. These types of creams offer an antioxidant treatment that protects the skin around your eyes, correcting signs of photo-damage including fine lines and wrinkles. It’s comforting and leaves your eyes feeling rejuvenated and vibrant.
Product suggestion: SKINCEUTICALS AOX Eye Gel, Caudalie Premier Cru The Eye Cream, Elizabeth Arden PREVAGE® Anti-aging + Intensive Repair Eye Serum
Ingredient suggestion: More and more beauty products are including organic ingredients and yes, it’s a wise thing to do. Regenerative powers of deep ocean algae, aloe vera, and jojoba and olive oils reduce wrinkles and delay signs of ageing around the eyes.
Additional tip: Don’t forget about pampering your eyelashes and brows. Longer lashes, healthy eyebrows can really open up the eyes, making them look brighter, more awake, and less tired. Yes, you could call on the powers of mascara and brow kit, but wouldn’t you like having it naturally? The suitable products are designed to treat lashes for a youthful transformation.
Product suggestion: Check out OLAY Regenerist Micro Sculpting Eye Cream and Lash Serum Duo, Elizabeth Arden Prevage PREVAGE Clinical Lash + Brow Enhancing Serum
DIY tip: Castor oil is excellent for lashes and brows. Use regularly at night to see the results within 6-8 weeks. Make sure, it doesn’t get into eyes.
More uses of Castor Oil:
“One of the best kept secrets in the world! The Castor oil…”
All of us hate waking up with puffy eyes, but there are days when that just can’t be helped. It also makes applying eye makeup harder, especially when you want to look fresh and awake with minimum makeup.
Puffy eyes are often exacerbated by water retention. Cut back on salty foods, especially for dinner, and sleep on a higher or extra pillow to minimize bloat and fluid buildup.
- To de-puff your eyes, plunge a spoon in ice water, then press the back of the spoon on your puffy lids with gentle pressure.
- An all-natural remedy is to soak a cotton ball in cold, unsweetened milk. Squeeze out some of the excess milk from the cotton ball before pressing it to your puffy eyes. Additionally, it moisturizes and nourishes your delicate eye-area.
- Aloe vera is an anti-inflammatory. Refrigerate a small container or tube of it, and then gently massage a few cool drops under your eyes in the morning to bring down morning puffiness.
- You can also use cold tea bags like green or chamomile tea to reduce swelling of tired eyes. Leave them on your lids for 5-10 minutes. Relax and let their antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties do the work.
Indulge in an eye-mask
Eye area is delicate enough to deserve an occasional extra pampering! Depending on your requirement, use moisturizing, relaxing or wrinkle lift mask.
Product suggestion: Bliss Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Eye Mask, SK-II Signs Eye Mask, Clarins Skin-Smoothing Eye Mask
- A thick layer of cool aloe gel is a wonderful mask to moisturize and rejuvenate your eye area.
- Grate potato or a cucumber. Extract the juice. Soak a pad and place it on your eyes. Let the juice work wonders for your eye area. This is particularly good for dark circles.
Banish dark circles
Yes, one of the most stubborn problems. Read the following article for the care you should take for dark circles
“Panda eyes! no more!”
Keep eye areas amply moisturized
One of the most important steps. Often we give lot of importance to wrinkle reduction and other concerns but miss out this very essential step. Most of the eye creams provide moisture other than addressing other concerns but sometimes you have to top up with a heavy-duty moisturizing eye cream.
Product suggestion: For hydration and firming
Neocutis Lumiere Bio-restorative Eye Cream with PSP, Lancôme Génifique Yeux Youth Activating Eye Cream, Shiseido Benefiance WrinkleResist24 Intensive Eye Contour Cream
Don’t miss this:
“Keep your eye area moisturized, easily!”
When you remove your makeup or apply eye cream your eye area, use your ring finger because it has the weakest touch. Gently tap eye cream until it’s absorbed, but don’t rub. In fact, you should avoid rubbing your eyes at all costs as the pulling and kneading creates tension (read: wrinkles in the making).
The patting motion is very important while layering products. If you rub, multiple products will mix and get deposited unevenly. Result: Improper affectivity of the product. This tip also goes for the entire face area, specifically if you are layering products.
Meet the new best friend of your eyes: Sunglasses. They’re going to protect your pretty eye area from the damaging UVA and UVB rays. By now we know there’s nothing like the sun to speed up ageing. With shades on, you’ll probably also squint less. Because our skin loses elasticity over time, repeated squinting worsens crow’s feet. Go big to protect as much of your eye area as possible. You’ll also feel super glamorous in big shades if the shape and color suits you.
For the tips to choose the right shades for you.
“Sunglasses! Color and Shape guide unfolded!”
Last, but not the least!
Groom your brows and wear suitable makeup
Youthful eyebrow arches will lift and revitalize your entire eye area and bring out your facial features. Sparse and thinning eyebrows are indicative of ageing. Tweeze, wax or thread the extra hairs of your eyebrow and fill them. Choose a matte brown eyeshadow or brow filler powder that complements your complexion and hair color and use a proper brush. You can finish off with a setting gel/wax or a transparent mascara
Product suggestion: SLEEK MAKEUP Eyebrow Stylist, Too Faced Brow Envy Brow Shaping & Defining Kit, ANASTASIA Bold & Beautiful Kit – Brow Powder, Brushes, Eye shadows, Tweezers
Nothing like some makeup to fake bright and awake eyes:
- Use eye primer to extend the longevity of your eye makeup. You don’t want your shadow caking in the creases! We love the eye area that has a smooth, silky finish because that minimizes the appearance of fine lines.
Read: “6 Must-know tricks to keep your eyeshadow from creasing”
- Under eye concealer should be applied with a brush with a patting motion to ensure a smooth and even result. Your skin there is thin and delicate, so be extra gentle when blending. And you only need a bit of concealer. Heavy cover-up will add years to your eyes and runs a risk of caking.
“Best tips for choosing under-eye concealer!”
Apply highlighter on the inner corner of your eyes and underneath your eyebrows for a youthful and dewy effect. Remember, you only need a bit for desired results.
- Suitable eye shadow. Unless you need to glam up your eye-makeup avoid ultra-heavy colors on your lids. For no makeup look, or a daily, casual look, opt for neutral shades. You might prefer to accentuate the shape of the eyes with a darker shade in the crease but again, be moderate.
“10 Best neutral MAC eyeshadows”
- Curl your eyelashes – It lifts your eyelashes at the base for a youthful open eye. Apply a thin coat of mascara on your upper lashes to make them noticeable. Try going with bare bottom lashes for younger looking eyes. Mascara on the lower lashes tend to make crow’s feet and under eye circles look more pronounced.
- Be moderate with powders – Too much of powder around eye areas makes the appearance of your crow’s feet worse by settling on them. So, be very careful to be moderate. Use fine setting powder on your concealer.
Don’t forget to read:
“Fix your eye makeup mistakes!”
Did you find the tips useful? Don’t forget to comment!