We all are aware that we have to drink enough water to keep our body work well inside out!
Let’s do a quick recap of why should we drink enough water!
But are we really drinking enough water?!
“Signs You Are Not Drinking Enough Water”
“How much water should I drink?”
It’s a simple question with no single answer. Studies have produced varying recommendations over the years, but in truth, your water needs depend on many factors, including your health, how active you are and where you live. There is no ideal prescription that fits everyone.
For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water. According to The Institute of Medicine an average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate needs an adequate intake (AI)
- for men is roughly about 13 cups (3 liters) of total beverages a day.
- for women is about 9 cups (2.2 liters) of total beverages a day.
But we don’t do it often. The busy schedule, the will-do-it-later urge or simply not feeling thirsty enough are some of the most important reasons. But is ultimately does have a long term effect.
Here are few real sneaky tricks to make you drink more water.
- Eat water-rich fruits and vegetables like watermelon, tomato to get more hydration. The following chart is an excellent reckoner to help you to identify and incorporate the fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Don’t buy any other drink for your home. Now, let’s face the fact, honestly, we will not drink water if we have liters or colas, sugary juices and syrupy drinks at home. So, shop clean to drink clean.
- Hide It In Your Daily Routine. Just the way a routine in diet helps us to eat healthy, if we have a good routine to drink water, we will stay hydrated without much effort. Example: The first thing you do in the morning is drink around 300-400 ml of water; again after your exercise; after an hour of meal and so on.
- Set an alarm to beep every hour. This is your reminder to gulp down a glass of water. Even if you drink just a small glass of 200 ml every hour, by the end of an 8-hour working day you have downed 200×8 = 1600 ml/1.6 liters of water.
- Carry a small bottle of water. No! This won’t look kiddish. When you have a bottle of water with you, in the minutes of thirst, it will help you not to grab a tempting glass of cola.
- Drink herbal tea. Drink 2-3 cups green tea, chamomile tea or any of your favorite fruit-flavored tea. They taste more interesting than a plain glass of water and gives you an added punch of antioxidants. But don’t get over enthusiastic and keep it limited within 3-4 medium cups.
- Go one-for-one at happy hour. When you are enjoying a drink or two try to drink at least one glass of water for every alcoholic drink you down. And again, this is a great way to prevent a nasty hang over the next day!
- Keep a calculation before it becomes a habit. Till drinking enough water becomes a habit, keep a clear calculation of how much water you are drinking in a day. Avoid drinking a gulp or two from a bottle. Empty a glass or a measured bottle to know how much you have taken. Though it sounds stringent but a few days of practice makes it easy. Once the habit sets in, the body will send you signals wanting water at regular time.
- Get over the blandness. Fruit waters are in vogue! They are the best way to make water tasty. Add fresh mint leaves, slices of apple, strawberry, lemon to a gallon of water and keep in the refrigerator. What you get is a supply of yummy fruit water throughout the day.
- Cheat the sweet craving. Indomitable urge to drink something sweet rather than the boring old water?! Here comes the cheating tip. Fill 1/4th glass with pure fruit juice (not the artificially flavored one, please), top it with water and happy drinking!
- Get a Decent Water Bottle and Mark It with Time-Oriented Goals. Water bottles are an excellent way to increase your water intake. Graduate it with time markers. Get, set and go!
Come, let’s join hands to be healthy! After all, healthy is the new beautiful and health is the ultimate style!