It was spotted on the runway more than a few times in the form of tops, skirts, dresses, and accessories. Sheer is one of the biggest trends on the horizon. Today, we’re focusing on sheer shirts and tops.
First of all, part of the fun with sheer is that it shows off some skin! Second, sheer is more versatile than you would think. A lot of people are intimidated by sheer tops because they feel like they show off too much skin. No, you can wear it with elegance and balance. Here are all your sheer-style worries settled. Check out these do’s, don’ts, cares, concerns and outfit ideas for some style inspiration to turn heads.
First and foremost: the most important decisions for rocking sheer tops, Underlayer options:
What should I wear underneath to not lose from that elegance (and colour) of the sheer top but also to tone down the edginess?.. This goes the most important and the most asked question. Instead of being exposed, address the situation by pinpointing the right underthings you need.
The underlayer rules for wearing a sheer blouse are simple:
- Layer it with an opaque layer underneath
- Choose the layering colour depending on if you want the upper layer or lower layer to be the obvious element. This may depend on where and how you intend to wear it; casual, sassy, edgy or official, whichever is your choice or requirement at that time.
Universal choice: Nude camisoles and tanks are often recommended for blouses that are accidentally sheer, in the case of a blouse that has intended sheerness as part of its design, and you might opt for contrast or color block instead. But it doesn’t always work well; your personal discretion on how you plan to look is most important for this.
Peekaboo? The visible bra isn’t terribly taboo in many parts of the world but some zones are yet to warm up to the idea. Gradually. But in a professional or office environment? NO chance. A sheer blouse should be worn with an opaque underlayer, even if the sheer blouse is just peeking out from under a blazer or jacket. A bralette or half tank is not enough, as it is expected of you to cover your torso and navel.
For sheer tops worn alone, most eyes prefer a tank or camisole with straps wide enough to cover your bra straps. Tucking the tank into your skirt or pants works well if both pieces are the same or similar in color, as this creates a column of color and allows the blouse to shine.
The safest bet is to utilize a tank that is the same color as the blouse. Black tank, black sheer blouse, great pairing. White tank and white sheer blouse can look very chic. Coordinated contrast can be created with similar colors or shades that play well together, as well as layering a solid sheer over a pattern.
Sheer may be trendy and beautiful but it’s definitely not perfect for every environment. It’s not something you can wear everywhere. Your official dress code or the dress code that goes with the different conservative, formal, semi-formal or business environments might not be very conducive for sheer dressing. I would always recommend exercising caution before leaving the house. No trend is worth being noticed for a wrong reason!
Sheers in office
If you work in conservative corporate environment, or other workplace that has fairly strict and modest dress codes, sheers are not acceptable under dress code. If you aren’t sure how sheers will fly at your office, ask your HR representative or boss before wearing. But, they can certainly be done tastefully, but, anytime, they are still a little more revealing than opaques by their very nature.
Be extra careful with underlayers if you are sporting a sheer piece in office. Stick to a tank or camisole that is the same color (or at least the colour family) as the blouse and have straps wide enough to cover your bra straps.
Choose the right colours:
A sheer blouse in a solid block colour works great with more muted tones. Blouses in black, white are able to be worked back with plenty of pieces in your wardrobe and can be dressed up or down.
- With button down: Layer your sheer top over a button down for a very unique outfit.
- Over a tank Pair: a sheer lace top over a tank, and add skinny jeans for a casual but cute outfit.
- With a dress: Do some summer layering with a loose sheer top over a tight dress.
- Belted babe: You can also belt the shirt over the dress to accentuate your waist.
- For a sheer layer: Leave a sheer button down open and wear it over a tank and jeans.
- Too sheer?: A top too sheer? Or, want to create a new look with the old sheer top? Use a contrasting shirt or top as a base.
- With Detail: If you want to wear sheer clothes but you don’t want it to be the focal point of your outfit, wear it with detail. Pick out a sheer piece with embellishments, print or other designs to take away some of the ‘sheerness’ and make way for the other details.
- Pretty prints: Combine a printed sheer top with a solid camisole or just the other way round.
- Sheer partiality: Create an interesting combination with little sheer panels or parts in an opaque top.
- Slip a crop: Slipping a crop over your sheer top can bring an interesting twist.
For the sceptics
There’s something quite alluring about showing a touch of skin in a sheer blouse but that’s the exact factor that scares some of us. Here are some look tips to rock the trend and yet not feel daunted.
- Feeling a little too uncovered? Add a patterned scarf or a half jacket to make you feel less conscious of the sheerness.
- Want to just try out the trend a little? Go for a top that has sheer sleeves or back only.
- Sheers can certainly be layered under sweaters or blazers, but their sheerness will be mostly masked. I find popping a blazer or a jacket on top makes it a little more conservative. You can still show a touch of skin without exposing too much.
- If you want just a tiny hint of sheerness at the collar and cuffs, this is a great option.
The bolder rendition
- Wear a black tank under a white lace shirt for a cool contrast.
Wear a black sheer top over a black bra, and wear a cardigan over it to just let some skin peek through.
- Want to show off a little skin? Wear your sheer shirt over a bra or bandeau.
- Pair a patterned sheer top over a nude bra – the pattern makes it hard to tell there’s not much happening underneath.
- If you’re going out, go for a bolder look and wear a white sheer top over a black bra. Adding a blazer keeps this a bit more polished.
- Wear a bra the same color of your sheer top. A black lace top looks perfect with a simple black bra underneath.
- A lace tunic looks boho-chic over a black crop top and black shorts.
- Underlayer can be completely ditched with strategically placed panels or patterns. A huge favorite with celebrities but with a “caution” tag for the rest.
- In the summer, sheers make great pool or beach cover-up. Wear your sheer top over a bathing suit to show it off.
How do you like your sheer tops to be styled? Pour in your tips and ideas.