With warm weather on its way, so I’ve heard, many women will want to start wearing more color. A lovely way is to add (or take out) some printed skirts for refreshing summer looks. They’re just cool and flattering.
For ladies who worry about the width of their hips or the length of their legs, embracing summer style obsession with printed bottoms can be a challenge. To the assurance of all the lovely ladies, there’s definitely a right way to wear a power print without feeling self-conscious.
The important part of all styling is “balance” and that’s exactly what will make you rock printed skirts. The secret to pulling off a print on your lower half is to balance the rest of your ensemble crisp and clean. One of the classic tricks is to wear the most basic shirt or top possible and allow your skirt to take center stage. And, opt for sleek accessories to provide some extra sophistication to your look.
Some common problems with printed skirts and solutions:
- If you really want to downplay your hips, thighs and legs, look for details that slim and take the focus away from them. Here are some of the best skirt styles that downplay curves:
- A-line shape – It perfectly skims your curves.
- Full circle skirts.
- Vertical details such as darts, pleats, visible vertical prints etc.
Also, balance the print skirt with a solid top in a lighter or brighter color that closely matches a color from the skirt.
- If you want to add curves to a skinny frame, or narrow or straight hips, then have a wide range to choose from! Compared to curvy gals, you’ll benefit from lighter colors, bolder prints and shiny fabrics because they visually expand your hips and thighs. You can opt for a belt to create or add definition at the waist area.
As you get your wardrobe ready for summer, check out these skirt styles and how to make them look stylish when it is super-hot outside.
- Bright and bold
Brighten up your wardrobe with our gorgeous colors and bold patterns. To balance the boldness of the skirt, keep the top in solid color.
- Floral prints
One of the most popular patterns. Depending on your proportions, keep the print moderate if required. Too big floral prints can often make you look broad and stumpy.
- Animal prints
When it comes to prints, animal prints are a must try for many. You can give it a try preferable with a solid top.
- Black and white
The classy combo when it comes to any print or pattern. Add some pearl accessories for a classy retro look or add some bright ones to bring a twist.
- Tropical prints
Want to feel like in a tropical beach holiday? Bring the mood in with some cool tropical prints.
- Polka dots
Another classic most of can’t live without.
- Tribal prints
Yes, Aztec prints are already in vogue (the image on left). But look beyond and try different tribal prints. In this picture, right, is a striking skirt with African (Ankara) print.
- Asymmetric prints
They create eye-catching effects with these different patterns.
- Abstract prints
Abstract prints are growing as a trend. Catch eyes with one.
- The latest trend – Art Theme
One of the latest trend in the horizon of printed skirt is to go artsy! Prints, inspired by works on canvas, are going strong. Why not try the trend?!
- Long and slit
Doesn’t this picture speak for itself? Turn heads with long printed skirts.
- Skater and super-cool
Go supercool and sexy in short printed skirts. Team with crop tops, turtlenecks, noodle straps to get the ideal summer look.
- Large swing
Luxurious, super-feminine and ultra-dressy, large swing skirts create an exceptional look.
- High waist
For some classic retro effect.
- Long and medium flared
Go for gorgeous floor length flared skirts to create a different look. Too much clothes for summer? Team it with tube tops or tank tops to balance out. Great camouflage for the days when your legs are feet are less than perfect to be flaunted.
- Magical mini
Fitted printed mini can work wonders if accessorized correctly. Follow the picture to see how a sophisticated look night-time/party look is created.
- Asymmetric hemline
Have some fun with the asymmetric hemline.
- Long and fitted
Great style for creating an illusion of length. The close fit makes you look tall and lean.
- Mind-blowing midi
While not many people sport this length of skirts but midi skirts can do a wonder. They give you a very feminine appeal without attracting any attention to any specific part of your body. Try printed midis with plain tucked tops for a new summer look.
- Sheer magic
Sheer printed skirts feel summery and sexy. Ideal for a hot day out or for pool or beach outings.
Printed skirts in office
There are a few things to keep in when wearing printed skirts to the office. Some or all may apply depending on how conservative your work environment is.
- Choose the print carefully – Too bold or loud prints might not be idea for office wear. You can choose small, sober prints of patterns to keep the look stylishly different
- Choose professional colors – You can choose bigger or marginally bold prints for the office as long as there is some sort of base neutral found in the print. This is important as with that you can use to tie in more conservative colors into your outfit. To make it clearer, look for skirts that have a navy ground, or bits of black, or white in them and then use these neutrals to tone down what you wear with them.
- Keep the silhouette or cut of the skirt like other formal skirts – Prints can sometimes look too casual for the office environment. However, when a printed skirt is in a silhouette like a pencil, sharp A-line or fit-&-flare, like the general formal skirts. It comes off as more professional than the unstructured or flowing ones.
- Pair the skirts with more professional pieces – In order to keep a printed skirt outfit looking professional, be sure to wear more tailored or structured pieces with these styles. Yes, you can wear relaxed pieces like cardigan with your printed skirts but be sure that they are not too unstructured or completely informal looking. Generally, a well-fitted top or shirt or a formal blazer balances printed skirt perfectly for office environment.
- Accessorize professionally – Never ever forget that your accessories can make or break your look no matter what you are wearing. Since printed skirts add a dash of casual feeling to your look, for work, avoid casual sandals, overly ornate jewelry or inappropriate accessories that can make you look too casual for your conservative workplace. Keep the casual accessories for teaming up with your printed skirts on weekends or any informal place.
What more do you want to add? Please put your valuable input in the comments.